Is it time for a new roof? Many homeowners put off getting a new roof until it’s absolutely necessary, but there are many benefits to getting a professional new roof installation. Not only does a new roof keep your home dry and protect your family from the elements, but it can also improve your home’s insulation and reduce your energy costs. If you’re considering getting a new roof, here is what you can expect from the process.
Need a New Roof?
Keep these tips in mind when considering a roof replacement.
New Roof: Shingle Colors
- Select a color that looks good with the color of your brick, mortar, and exterior paint.
- Ask us to install a bundle of this shingle color so you can see how it looks on your house.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for our professional opinion.
New Roof: Layovers
- A “layover” refers to installing a new layer of shingles over an existing layer. A “layover” is more economical than a “tear-off” because you don’t have the additional expense of tearing off the existing roof and hauling the debris to the landfill. A “layover” is recommended for the following set of facts:
- The existing roof has only one layer of shingles.
- The existing shingles are laying flat and the corners are not curled.
The existing shingles can be nailed through without cracking or crumbling.
New Roof: Tear-offs
- A “tear-off” refers to tearing off the existing layers of shingles before installing a new layer. A “tear-off” is recommended for each of the following facts:
- The existing roof is being replaced due to an insurance claim.
- The existing roof has two or more layers of shingles (building code requirement).
- The existing shingles do not lay flat and the corners are curled.
- The existing shingles cannot be nailed through without cracking or crumbling.
- A lot of rotten wood decking below the existing roof must be replaced.
If you’re looking for a roofer, be sure to find one that is certified and insured. Also, make sure to get everything in writing before the work begins. And finally, don’t forget to ask about warranties! By following these simple tips, you can be sure that you’ll have a great experience with your professional roof installation.